Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Day That Will Never Be Forgotten

When the 9/11 attack happened I was in an english class. My teacher stepped out of the class, we were writing and doing work. Then she opened the door and told us that a plane just crashed into one of the twin towers. We didn't know what to say, we were at loss. She said it casually without remorse or a sense of sadness. It felt cold and stoic, I sense that she didn't want to alarm anyone.

I think we were reading Fahrenheit 451 and that book was very political. It was all about how America was going out of control and at the end of the book there was a war. Some themes that came up from the book were chaos, loss of values, betrayal, and many of the lead characters dying. My teacher at that time said it was ironic how the terrible event was happening. We didn't know at the time that it was a terrorist attack. Some details weren't mentioned to us, she didn't know exactly what was happening since she still had to teach class. I don't recall seeing it on television. But everyone in class was shocked and there was a long silent pause. I didn't want to believe it until I saw it. After school, that's when we were glued on the television. Our family watched the whole thing, and at that time I didn't know what to think. I was still in the state of shock since some of the images were too overwhelming. I just couldn't believe that it was happening.

Our country was at a stand still. We never knew that this was coming to us. It would never occur to us that America could be so vulnerable. After this event, I saw a lot of patriotism on the media outlets. Phones were ringing for celebrities to answer and collect money. George Bush told us to go shopping to help boost the economy. He said that we shouldn't be afraid of terrorist attacks. It was ironic how something so tragic was suppose to be bring us back united. During that time I was skeptical at our government. The news made the tragedy sensationalized and I didn't know what to believe anymore.

2 comments:

  1. John,
    This sounds very similar to my experience. It didn't sink in until I was home and watching the news on EVERY channel. I didn't know you had a blog and I didn't know that you were a writer! (of course I sort of figured it out after reading your brilliant design manifesto.)I'm adding you to my blogroll!
    sarahkeane

    ReplyDelete